bind newb needing guidance

Nick Jones nicholas-jones at
Wed Sep 13 23:08:26 UTC 2006

Hello Mr. Darcy, thanks for the great response.  I've used dig to get
some information, perhaps it will shed some light.   No the zone is
not "loaded", however that takes place, it is only getting the zone from the (forwarded) public DNS servers.

I'm no DNS admin, and I thought it would be fine to learn some things
and see if I could get a basic config going.  Maybe, but I think a
/etc/hosts and Netinfo is going to work much better here for me.

Here is the latest incarnation of my DNS config attempts.

tcsh% dig

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>>
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;                        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:              7670    IN      SOA 200608301 7200 3600 3600000 86400

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; WHEN: Wed Sep 13 17:05:36 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 84

> Looks like you've defined your hints file twice. That might not be the
> source of your problem, but it certainly doesn't help matters.
Yea that was just poor cutting and pasting on my part.  I'll post some
corrected stuff below.

[root at localhost etc]# cat named.conf
options {
        directory "/etc";
        pid-file "/var/run/";

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/db.cache";

zone "" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/";
zone "" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/10.10.0.rev";

[root at localhost etc]# cat
$ttl 30M IN      SOA (
                        30M ) IN      NS   IN      A     IN      A IN      A

### Here I'm not sure if the NS should point to the IP since it's a
forward lookup

[root at localhost etc]# cat 10.10.0.rev
$ttl 30M   IN      SOA (
                        30M )   IN      NS        IN      PTR        IN      PTR

I realize it is probably something simple, but even so, please let me
know in as little of your time as it takes, where the problem lies.

I greatly appreciate the fact that I can ask experts questions about
this, even though I don't deserve this kind of information based on
the amount of reading I've done (very little based on time I can
devote to this issue).   So thank you for your patience.