peculiar lookup timeouts

Adam Young adamy at
Thu Sep 14 12:55:35 UTC 2006

>'s delegation looks good as does's
> 	delegation.  I would be looking for problem with managing the
> 	state tables in the firewall.
> 	You should be able to see the problem by looking at packet
> 	traces.  You should see packets going out to the servers
> 	but not coming back.  When you restart named you get a new
> 	source port and you then see the reply traffic.
> 	In my experience, it is either a problem with the delegation
> 	or problems with middle boxes that stop lookups working
> 	99.9% of the time.  You use external delegation checkers for
> 	the first and packet tracers for the second.

Hey Mark,

The systems here have nothing in front of them, as far as
firewalls/filtering is concerned.

I'm still a bit confused as to why a SERVFAIL is returned, unless as you've
mentioned, delegation is the problem.  In that case, I don't know how to go
about fixing it, since our nameservers are doing recursion for these clients
and should be asking the appropriate sources anyways.

Adam Young
Systems Support Technologist
Mountain Cablevision Ltd.