BIND 9.3.2-P1 failing completely on some domains

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Fri Sep 15 00:53:27 UTC 2006

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:27:13 -0400, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>> ;; Received 107 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53(a.podbase.com) in 30040 ms
>
> Uh, this is very suspicious. 192.168.0.1 is *not* the address of
> a.podbase.com, as resolved on the Internet. Do you have some sort of
> funky configuration going on here? Or some device that likes to
> rewrite A records in DNS packets on the fly? The fact that this
> query took 30 seconds to complete also raises the possibility that
> something in your local network environment is tripping you up here.

Ah, I did not see that.  I certainly don't intentionally have any
unusual configuration going on.  My uplink is via a domestic ADSL
modem/router which shouldn't be touching any DNS traffic.

What I _have_ noticed before is that my BIND setup does occasionally
return 192.168.0.1 for non-existent domains, or for domains about
which it can't find any information, even temporarily.  This is
unintentional, and is clearly a bug in my configuration.  Maybe this
is a specific case of that bug?

I am loathed to ask the newsgroup|list to do my debugging for me, but
if anyone has the time and inclination, I've copied my config and zone
files here:

http://logicsquad.net/namedb/

--
Paul.