BIND 9.3.2-P1 failing completely on some domains

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at
Tue Sep 19 01:37:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:59:38 -0400, Barry Margolin <barmar at> wrote:
> In article <eemed2$1vht$1 at>,
>  "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh at> wrote:
>> Why can I get an A record for when tracing is on, and
>> not without?]
> Because the address is coming from the GTLD server as a glue record,
> not from

Ah, thanks.

> So it looks like there's something preventing you from communicating
> with

As someone else (I think it was Kevin) noted, BIND was telling me that
the address for was, which is obviously
incorrect.  I have noticed this before with my BIND setup: sometimes
when it's queried for a non-existent domain, or a domain it
temporarily can't find any information about, it will return (the nameserver's own address).  This bogus address will
eventually expire, and it will return useful information again: today
I can dig '' and '' just fine.

There is clearly a problem with my BIND configuration.  If anyone has
the time and inclination to look over it for me, I've put up
named.conf and the zone files here:

(I can also post them to the newsgroup if that is preferred.)


Logic Squad -- Technical Publishing with XML --

More information about the bind-users mailing list