One Server, two IPs, DNS setup

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Sep 25 17:39:43 UTC 2006

Oh, there's more to it than that.

- If your name server is not registered on both addresses (i.e. isn't
listed as two name servers in the delegation, pointing to both
addresses), when line A goes down, the DNS server will be unreachable
for at least some requests. Same goes for address records in your
domain - you must advertise both interfaces of the name server in
DNS. Use separate names for each interface (e.g. ns1 and ns2) and
make sure your domain registration records and the records in your
zone match.

- If a web visitor has started browsing the site through IP address
A, and if line A then goes down, the visitor will not switch to IP
address B. There is no solution to this, other than not using such an
unreliable net connection. (Better yet, use BGP and avoid this whole
topic of discussion.)

- If a potential web visitor is given both addresses of the web
server, their browser will essentially pick one at random. (Actually,
their local resolving DNS server will pick one at random.) If that
line is down, they will not switch to the other line, and so they
will not get in. The solution to this is to use views on the name
server to provide different answers depending on the name server
interface the query came through (i.e. the line A address or the line
B address). You should also use relatively short TTL's, like 5
minutes or less, to minimize caching. This is seen as being
relatively anti-social in the DNS community, so again, avoid this
whole issue and use BGP instead.

(If web browsers supported SRV records, this whole issue would be
much simpler and would not require BGP in order to create a reliable
solution.)

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice