Get all RR's from a zone

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at
Wed Sep 27 08:08:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:43:28AM +0200,
 Ronni Jensen <roj at> wrote
 a message of 14 lines which said:

> Is there a way (using dig or whatever) to get a list of all RR's in
> a specific zone?

dig @auth-nameserver AXFR

auth-nameserver must be authoritative for And almost all
authoritative name servers disallow AXFR except for authorized machines.

> If I use "dig any" I only get NS, MX, TXT and A records,
> but I need all.. also CNAME's etc.

Wrong. ANY gives you *all* the records that are *currently* in the
cache of the name server (wether they are MX or TXT or else).

% dig ANY
;; ANSWER SECTION:             172800  IN      CNAME