cannot connect

Steve Ingraham singraham at
Thu Sep 28 21:36:46 UTC 2006

Chris Buxton wrote:
Start testing, using either 'dig' or something like it, to see what
answer the stub resolver is getting from the resolving name server.
Try with recursion both on and off (that is, try each query at least
twice). Do you perhaps have an internal version of the zone
Could there be some kind of routing or firewall issue that prevents
your resolving name server from looking up the domain?

Here are the results of the dig:

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>>
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;                  IN      A
;; ANSWER SECTION:           3298    IN      A           3298    IN      A
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:               168811  IN      NS               168811  IN      NS
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:          161510  IN      A          161508  IN      A
;; Query time: 4 msec
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 28 16:24:35 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 132

You asked if there could be a routing or firewall.  We have a firewall
but it has not been changed in anyway.  Our users have been able to
access the site prior to about 2 hours ago.  Do you think there is a
possibility that the site could have changed any settings
on their end that would have blocked our domain but not others?

Steve Ingraham