cannot connect

Dawn Connelly dawn at zapata.org
Thu Sep 28 22:12:03 UTC 2006

Ping is generally a bad connection test. It uses ICMP which most firewalls will
block. A better test is to telnet on port 80. If you are a windows person, get
into a cmd window and type telnet <IP Address> 80 <enter>. That gives you a
test using TCP over 80 which is going to more accurately reflect what firewalls
holes are open.

Did you do a lookup for a workstation that can't connect? If you are getting DNS
resolution at the workstation level, then most likely DNS isn't your problem.
Make sure that the IP address that you are resolving matches the IP addresses
you get when you test from outside your network. If they are different, then
you probably have a hand jammed zone file some where. To find that rogue DNS
server, do the following from a cmd window:
nslookup <enter>
set q=soa <enter>
oscn.net <enter>

If something other than the legit servers come back, seek and destroy the rogue
zone.