Make aliases that don't transfer?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Apr 3 12:45:54 UTC 2007

It's "a hack" - ok I'll buy that though I inherited the setup.  Is it a
bad idea though?  Should I really make separate zone files for every
domain when all we really use is a single web site to service them all?

We have a single domain for email and all other purposes.   It is only
because we have multiple business entities that we use separate domain
names (essentially to insure people looking for us find our main web
site).  What is the downside to using such "a hack"?

I can live with the multiple zone transfers (especially given that if I
DID separate into individual zone files I'd still have multiple zone
transfers) but was just curious if there was a way to configure named
not to transfer a given zone file.   Doing rsync wouldn't turn off zone
transfers.  I'd still want my main zone files (the unaliased ones) to
transfer.   Are you implying it is all or nothing?  If so why do I need
to configure each zone?