Dueling Daughters

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 4 20:44:54 UTC 2007

Bill.Light at kp.org wrote:
> OK - Not dueling, but it made a cute subject...
> I have a domain, example.com, and both daughers want a "home" page, so
> instead of:
>
> example.com/daugtherone   -and-   example.com/daugthertwo
>
> Can I do:  daugtherone.example.com   -and-   daugthertwo.example.com  ??
>
> And I guess, more appropriately, once I have *.example.com.  in a zone
> file, is this strictly an Apache issue ?

Well, with only 2 names, a wildcard might be overkill, and lead to
unexpected behavior down the road. Why not just add the 2 names, or
perhaps have one be an alias of the other (via CNAME)?

To answer your general question, though: yes, once the DNS is set up the
way you want it, then it's just a matter of configuring your web server
to match that. Look up "virtual hosts" for more information on how to
configure the web server, e.g. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/.
Specifically, what you're interested is the so-called "name-based"
virtual hosting.