'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Fri Apr 13 11:03:48 UTC 2007

Quoting Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>:

> dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> I had to replace my DNS server that runs on my internal 10. network.
>> It has 8 virtual interfaces.  I install bind using yum install bind.
>> Version is 9.3.4 running on Fedora Core 6.   I essentially transferred
>> all my named conf files (everything in /var/named/chroot) from my
>> backup server, chowned it all to named group named and cranked up
>> named.  I am running dynamic DNS.  Everything seems ok as far as
>> lookups go.  However, I am seeing quite a bit of this error message in
>> my named.log files: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not
>> satisfied (NXRRSET).  Looked it up, but Im Still not quite sure what
>> it means or how to fix it.
> That's just an informational message. It's telling you that a particular
> entry wasn't added to DNS via Dynamic Update because the Dynamic Update
> request specified that the entry must not already exist, and in fact it
> so happened that the entry already existed.
>> DHCP runs on the same server, I am getting
>> these messages there:
>>   Unable to add forward map from
>> emac022-mobile4.kes.harrisonburg.k12.va.us to 10.45.10.88: timed out.
>> For different computers and subnets.  Im assuming that is because of
>> the named error.   The old server was running 9.2.x.
>>

> Don't think it's related.
>
> Something within the Dynamic Update sequence of events is timing out,
> most likely the SOA lookup of
> emac022-mobile4.kes.harrisonburg.k12.va.us. If you do that lookup from
> the command line, what do you get? I don't know if your DHCP software
> would try to do a reverse lookup of 10.45.10.88 in that scenario, but if
> it would, and if your 10.in-addr.arpa namespace is not set up quite
> correctly, it's quite possible that the reverse query would try to
> resolve from the Internet DNS and that is likely to time out.
>

>                      - Kevin

Kevin lookup of emac-022:
host emac022-mobile4.kes.harrisonburg.k12.va.us
emac022-mobile4.kes.harrisonburg.k12.va.us has address 10.45.10.88

Seems to be working.  I spent a little time cleaning up my zone files
and stopping named, deleting the .jnl files from the old server and
restarting named.  I changed the serial numbers on all my zone files.
Looks like things are working better.  Is the RRSET exists (value
dependent) message anything to worry about?  Lookups seem to be
rolling right along.  Incidently my dhcp version is Internet Systems
Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.5-RedHat.

thanks,

ddh

--