libreoslv API quesiton: Using RES_SECV and RES_STAYOPEN with TCP

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar sbalasub at qualcomm.com
Fri Apr 13 23:38:23 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a problem using the client libresolv api for the scenarion below.

I have two nameservers A and B in that order in /etc/resolv.conf and
issues are being found if named is not running in machine nameserver A.

Using UDP:
1. The queries always go to nameserver A, fails and then succeeds with
B. How do you specify to API to continue with B as long as queries are
successful?

2. What does _res option RES_PRIMARY mean?

Using TCP:
1.   Same question,  How do you specify to API to continue with B as
long as queries are successful?
2. How does RES_STAYOPEN work? In my case, even after setting this
option, socket is getting closed after a single attempt.

I would greatly appreciate for any ides on this one. Currently I am
thinking of using the c-ares api to verify the behavior.

Thanks,
Shiva