Local resolution of some parent domain hosts

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Apr 20 15:44:39 UTC 2007

Kerney, Stephen A wrote:
> Rather than create a name alias1.host1.b.c I was hoping to create the
> name alias1.b.c and have that name resolve to the same IP address as
> host1.b.c
>
> For example, DNS has been configured for some time such that queries
> to host1.a.b.c returns an IP address such as 10.0.1.1.
>
> Using your configuration example, queries to host1.b.c now return the
> same IP address of 10.0.1.1.
>
> The current challenge:  Our software developers have given me a list
> of 14 host names on the b.c domain they want resolved to the same IP
> address of
> 10.0.1.1.
>
> Therefore, queries to my DNS server for the following 15 names must
> all return an IP address of 10.0.1.1:
>
> host1.a.b.c
> host1.b.c
> alias1.b.c
> alias2.b.c
> .
> .
> .
> alias12.b.c
> alias13.b.c
>
> Must I have 15 db files, one to cover my a.b.c names and 14 for the
> 14 b.c names?

Why not just have a single b.c db file with 14 entries?  You could put
the 15 a.b.c entries in that file as well, or create a second a.b.c db
file for them.

The single file would look something like this (after the SOA header):

    host1     IN   A   10.0.1.1
    host2     IN   A   10.0.1.1
    host1.a   IN   A   10.0.1.1

Or you could use cnames: