newbie need help to confrigure own DNS

Dave Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Thu Apr 26 12:55:32 UTC 2007

"J.Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in> wrote: Dave Henderson wrote:
> If you make a change to the records that the bind you installed, does
> it get popuplated to dnsstuff.com or an nslookup?  What distro are you
> using?
no it is not het populated. I'm using bind9.3 with suse 9.2. should I
buy dns name .
thanks.

> Dave
>

> */"J.Bakshi" /* wrote:
>
>     Dear list,
>
>     I have hired a linux root server from hosteurope.de. The "domainname"
>     command shows
>     dedicated.hosteurope.de. Now I have check the domain with dnsstuff.com
>     and found there is no MX record for
>     dedicated.hosteurope.de. I have no access to
>     dedicated.hosteurope.de. I
>     just have a root server. So how can I get my own MX record for
>     dedicated.hosteurope.de ?
>
>     please note I have installed both bind and webmin , so is it not
>     possible to maintain my own DNS there ?
>     please guide me. thanks

If you do not have a domain name to control (ie the root servers point to the bind server you are configuring), then bind running on that server will not do anything.  Say for example you are interested in abc.com.  You will need to purchase that domain and in the registrar's control panel, you will need to point that domains dns servers to your bind server (that takes 1-3 days).  Let me know when you have that going and I will help you further.

Dave