Communicate with named

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Apr 28 18:18:53 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 02:09:00PM +0500,
 M. Waseem Sindhu <wsindhu at inspediumcorp.com> wrote
 a message of 13 lines which said:

> Is there a way to add/remove/update a record by connecting to Port
> 53 with telnet and posting our messages?

With telnet, no, the DNS protocol is a binary one, not a text-based
one like SMTP or HTTP.

This is called "dynamic update", is specified in RFC 2136 and is
implemented, in the BIND world, by the program nsupdate.

For instance, this shell script will change the IP address of
monportable.dyn.example.org to $new_ip_address, using a secret key to
authenticate:

nsupdate -kKexample-dyn-update.+157+18685.private -d <<EOF
  server nsupdate.example.org
  zone dyn.example.org
  key eureg-dyn-update. CLE-SECRET=
  update delete monportable.dyn.example.org
  update add monportable.dyn.example.org 300 A $new_ip_address
  send
EOF