Basic intranet setup

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Aug 6 18:02:54 UTC 2007

I don't see it as bad practice. This is just my personal opinion, but
for the risks you cite:

* ICANN is unlikely to approve a ".lan" TLD.

* This risk is similar to the risk of overlapping non-routable IP
space, such as both organizations using 10/8. It happens, and people
deal with it. Using "org1.lan" and "org2.lan" in the two structures
leads to an unlikely overlap, anyway - just don't use "lan" itself as
your local domain.

* This value can be set by DHCP for the vast majority of hosts.

However, there's nothing wrong with creating a subdomain of the
public domain name. There may be advantages to this approach in a
given environment, such as a simpler AD structure or simpler
configuration of the default search list on Windows.

BTW: There is a TLD reserved for local use. It's .local. However,
some operating systems have co-opted this name for use by zeroconf
and mDNS, making it difficult to successfully use .local as a DNS TLD.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice