build failed on OSX 10.4.10 (ppc)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Aug 10 01:16:30 UTC 2007

> On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Chris Buxton wrote:
>
> > Those errors are caused by a problem with your specified openssl
> > location. If you don't specify --with-openssl, it will still link
> > against openssl, using the Apple-provided copy.
>
> I had tried that first, but it gives me this big ASCII warning sign
> at the end of configure telling me my openssl crypto library may be
> vulnerable and recommending I upgrade to version 0.9.8d/0.9.7l or
> greater. So I grabbed the source from OpenSSL's site (0.9.8e) and
> built that, now I'm trying to use it.

	Because OS vendors seem to think it is better to patch
	a old version than to import the latest maintenance
	release.  configure then has no way to know if the
	bugs are fixed or not.

	While this may be a good short term strategy, I'm not
	conviced that it is a good long term strategy as they
	then discover all the old bugs.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC