build failed on OSX 10.4.10 (ppc) - OT

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 17:38:14 UTC 2007

Mark Andrews napsal(a):

> 	Because OS vendors seem to think it is better to patch
> 	a old version than to import the latest maintenance
> 	release.  configure then has no way to know if the
> 	bugs are fixed or not.
>
> 	While this may be a good short term strategy, I'm not
> 	conviced that it is a good long term strategy as they
> 	then discover all the old bugs.
>
> 	Mark

This is about business. OS vendors try serve what they customers want.
I'm also for importing latest maintenance release. But customers don't
want patch something what doesn't affect them. They only want buy OS,
switch on server and do nothing additional with it (except configuration
- of course :) ). And when they find a bug they tell vendor "fix it". It
doesn't matter that some part of code is buggy if customer doesn't use
it. This is big problem and I don't think that good solution exists.
When some big OS vendor become "enlightened" and start rebase to latest
maintenance releases his customers will simply switch OS vendor because
they don't want this schema. So say this is good short term strategy is
quite speculative. In long-term strategy no customers == no vendor.

Adam