Just how "BAD" is doing this?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Thu Aug 16 21:02:24 UTC 2007

> "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml at t-b-o-h.net> writes:
>
> > 	The problem is, I don't do the hosting anymore for A and B.
> > What I've done is outsource it to 8.example2.com and 13.example2.com .
> > I just point a to 8 and b to 13. Ok, yea, when you look at the NS
> > records, it shows 8 and 13, not A and B like ARIN expects.
> >
> > 	So the first questions is "Just how bad is what I'm doing"?
>
> if the NS's point to CNAME's, then it's supremely bad.

	No, its not CNAMEs.

	ARIN shows pointing to A.EXAMPLE.COM and B.EXAMPLE.COM . NIC
has a "HOST RECORD" for both pointing to the actual IPs of 8.EXAMPLE2.COM
and 13.EXAMPLE2.COM . When you do the lookup for the IN-ADDR.ARPA  , you
get back the 8.EXAMPLE2.COM and 13.EXAMPLE2.COM NS records.

> if the NS's in the parent domain differ from those in the zone apex,
> then it's moderately bad.

	Ok, so I'm working on "moderately bad". :}

	Given that for "reasons", ARIN won't change the NS records
to point to 8.EXAMPLE2.COM and 13.EXAMPLE2.COM, and I can't get EXAMPLE2.COM
to reply with NS records saying A.EXAMPLE.COM and B.EXAMPLE.COM .... Is there
some other majik I can do to take me either partially or completely out of
"moderately bad" range?

> where "bad" means "people will think you are a spammer and reject your e-mail."

	Its been running like that for slightly over 2 years, and this is the
first time that A/8 has fallen over for an extended period of time and had this
effect. I guess I was "lucky" previously.

	So, suggestions? (Besides either getting ARIN to change their records,
or EXAMPLE2.COM to publish the domain with EXAMPLE.COM NS records to match...)

		Thanks, Tuc