How to handle bind 9 as resolver on bad wireless links

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 21 11:07:04 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 05:22:44PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > 	Then I doubt that iterative resolution will work either.
> > 	The only other solution would be to forward to the GPRS's
> > 	nameservers.
>
> Which would cause the same issue since the GPRS operator's nameservers
> are not reachable as well during cell change or other connectivity
> challenges.

	But you will have a *local* cache by doing that.  Any queries
	for which you already have a answer will get a response.

> So there is no way to decrease bind's concurrency level and increase
> the timeouts?

	With forwarders (and forward only) you remove all the traffic
	except that for the direct queries.  Note the timeouts are
	in the stub resolver not named.  Named will try much longer
	than the stub resolver.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org