BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1

Craig Cocca craigc at uia.net
Thu Aug 30 20:22:35 UTC 2007

On Aug 26, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

>> Recently, we've updated our internal nameservers from BIND 9.3.2 to
>> 9.3.4-P1, and then to BIND 9.4.1-P1.  We're running this on FreeBSD
>> 6.1 on a P4 2.8 GHz with 1GB of RAM.  We're experiencing a problem
>> where named will be running normally, at 10-14% CPU load and right at
>> the 515M memory cap that we set for it, and then it will suddenly
>> stop doing recursive lookups.  What is interesting here is that the
>> box will continue to do lookups for domains for which we have
>> authority, but lookups of outside domains just flat out stop until we
>> restart named.
>>
>> I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with
>> BIND 9.4.1-P1, and if so, if there is a fix for this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Craig
>
> 	This is symptomatic of named hitting the datasize limit.
>
> 	Which config option did you use?  The cache size should
> 	be limited by max-cache-size which is a soft limit and
> 	should be less than datasize.
>
> 	Note FreeBSD sets datasize to 512MB by default and you need
> 	to reboot to reconfigure this upwards.  See the FreeBSD
> 	handbook for how to change this.
>
> 	Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org

Mark,

We have tried setting the max-cache-size lower than the default
datasize of 512MB, and are still in a situation where named becomes
unresponsive to recursive lookups.  Any other ideas what may be
causing this.  Please note that we also tried 9.3.4-P1 and saw the
same issue there.

Thanks,

Craig D. Cocca