BIND 9.4.x empty zones

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 18:41:13 UTC 2007

On Nov 1 2007, Niall O'Reilly wrote:

>On 1 Nov 2007, at 09:51, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
>
>> 	I've noticed a couple of surprises (using 9.4.1-P1).
>
>	One more ...
>
>	Shouldn't the documentation mention somewhere that the automatic
>	empty zones are activated by default only if recursion is enabled ?

It's a bit murkier than that, it seems (experimenting with 9.4.2).

"recursion no;" turns off automatic empty zone generation;
"allow-recursion {none;};" does not

... but ...

"recursion no;" has no effect on what allow-query-cache defaults to;
"allow-recursion {none;};" makes "none" the default for allow-query-cache

... and then again ...

specifying both "recursion no;" and "allow-recursion {...};" normally
provokes a warning message;
but in the special case of "allow-recursion {none;};" it doesn't.

So if one is trying to produce a configuration file that will work with
9.3.x as well as with 9.4.x, it seems that it can sometimes actually be
useful to specify

  recursion no; allow-recursion {none;}; // comment needed here!

I think my brain is hurting.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk