named-checkzone ignoring flags?

Alexei Tenitski alexei at net24.co.nz
Mon Dec 3 02:47:31 UTC 2007

Hi

I have a strange problem with named-checkzone & named-compilezone
ignoring value of some of the flag.

Given this zone:

example.com. 3600 IN    SOA     example.net. root.example.net.
1196631861 3600 3600 3600 3600
@ 3600 IN    NS      ns1.example.net.
@ 3600 IN    NS      ns3
@ 3600 IN    MX      10 www
www 3600 IN CNAME  @

and this bind version:

# /usr/local/sbin/named-checkzone -v
9.4.1-P1

When i run check with flag "-M fail" (MX -> CNAME) it picks it up and
does FAIL as i asked:

# /usr/local/sbin/named-checkzone -M fail example.com. example.com.zone
example.com.zone:3: using RFC1035 TTL semantics
zone example.com/IN: NS 'ns3.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
zone example.com/IN: example.com/MX 'www.example.com' is a CNAME (illegal)

However if i try to make it fail on things like -n or -m (no A record
for NS or MX) it just ignores those flags and uses mode WARN as usually:

# /usr/local/sbin/named-checkzone -n fail -m fail example.com.
example.com.zone
example.com.zone:3: using RFC1035 TTL semantics
zone example.com/IN: NS 'ns3.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
zone example.com/IN: example.com/MX 'www.example.com' is a CNAME (illegal)
zone example.com/IN: loaded serial 1196631861
OK

Also, seems that flag -i does not change anything in check/compile
behavior at all...

Does anyone have any idea? I've tried all i could think of, googled and
googled and googled but still have not idea what is going on here... :(

Regards,
Alexei