Misfeature of 9.4.2 named-checkzone

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 13:06:01 UTC 2007

Mark,

Many thanks for the informative reply.

On Dec 10 2007, Mark Andrews wrote:
[...]
>> But if one applies named-checkzone to a messily ordered
>> input zone file with the default output style (-F text -s full) then
>> each RRset retains the order of the component RRs in the input.
>
>	Which is required for rrset-order fixed.

Yes, I should have realised that supporting rrset-order would have
consequences in this area.

>> This makes it more awkward to compare zone files for equality (e.g. to
>> answer the question "has any of this incremental update stuff caused
>> zone content drift?"). Of course, one can always sort the output files
>> from named-checkzone before comparing them, but this used not to be
>> necessary.
>
>	It should be possible to add a flag to get each RRset sorted.

That would certainly be nice... supposing that you have any spare option
letters left for named-checkzone to use :-)

[Or maybe it should be part of the style specified by -s, add "full-ordered"
and "relative-ordered" ?]

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk