bind-9.4.2, notify, slave and views; supported?

Justin Pryzby jpryzby+bind at quoininc.com
Thu Dec 13 18:08:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:12:52PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> A master won't send multiple NOTIFYs to the same slave IP address, and
> even if it did, there would need to be some way of differentiating those
> NOTIFYs, e.g. by source address, TSIG key or whatever, so that the
> slave, receiving the NOTIFYs, would know which view they belong to.
Ah, good point.  I'll have to try using multiple TSIG keys (IIRC this
is a bind9.3+ enhancement).

> I think you're either going to have to implement a parallel set of views
> on your master,
This is actually the intended situation.  There's only a handful of
zones involved, and the zones for which a master/slave relationship is
useful (I mean: excluding localhost and 0, 127, 255, ...) should have
the same data in all the views on all the hosts.

Thanks
Justin