Wildcards in reverse DNS

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jan 4 11:01:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 02:18 -0800, Steve K. wrote:
> I am curious, why are you using ipv6 in the first place? Aside from it's
> eye appearance (I frankly find it difiuclt to make any sence of show
> it's structured, where as ipv4 a.b.c.d is so easy to understand), why
> would anyone want to use it? I really am curious.

Address space exhaustion is the global warming of the Internet. Nobody
*really* believes it's coming, but it is. There are various short term
strategies, like NAT, that alleviate the symptoms but do not actually
fix the problem.

IPv6 fixes quite a few problems that plague the Internet - it delivers
automatic addressing for smaller networks, almost automatic addressing
for larger networks, automatic renumbering, much more efficient ways of
finding servers, no more broadcasts, finer grained control of
subnetting, way better route aggregation, faster processing due to a
simplified header...

As to how it's structured in the DNS, it's *exactly the same* as IPv4,
with obvious exceptions:

- the entries are longer because the addresses are bigger

- it's hex, not decimal (about time!)

- addresses are divided on nibble boundaries instead of byte boundaries

- reverse lookups are in "ip6.arpa" instead of "in-addr.arpa".

Get into it. Or you'll be sitting on top of your house waiting for the
coastguard while the rest of us enjoy our lovely new ocean views.

Regards, K.