Strange: My Bind (8.4.6) freezes randomly : Sysklogd?

Santiago Romero sromero at servicom2000.com
Thu Jan 11 15:59:21 UTC 2007

Mark Andrews wrote:
>>   I noticed that:
>>
>> - If I stop sysklogd, bind doesnt (*) freezes.
>>    I can also send SIGWITH to named, and it doesn't freeze.
>> - If I configure bind to log as "default { null; }", bind doesnt' freezes.
>> - If I set bind to log as "file /var/log/named.log", bind doesn't freezes.
>>    I can also send SIGWITH to named, it logs all the queries,
>>    and it doesn't freeze.
>> - If I configure bind to log using syslog, I start named, send the
>> SIGWICH signal, and it freezes 5-10-30-60 seconds later. ALWAYS.
>
> 	syslogd want's to resolve a address.  It blocks until the
> 	resolver returns a answer / timesout.  Named wants to log
> 	to syslogd.  syslog() blocks until syslogd reads the socket.
>
> 	When will OS developers
>
> 		a) restore syslog()'s non blocking behaviour
> 				and / or
> 		b) not translate IP addresses to names
>
> 	Syslog was originally written on top of UDP.  UDP *does*
> 	*not* block.

  What do you mean? (Sorry, I don't understand what are you trying
to tell me).

  Do you mean it's an OS or sysklog bug?

  The strange is that this problem has never happened until it
started last 4th January 2007. Since that day, our bind freezed
10-15 times in a day.

  Do you think it's a problem related with having heavy traffic
load? Malformed queries? OS bug?

--
Santiago Romero
Departamento de Sistemas