Strange: My Bind (8.4.6) freezes randomly : Sysklogd?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jan 11 13:21:55 UTC 2007

>   Latest news.
>
>   Maybe it's a bug between **** bind and sysklog **** ?
>

>   I noticed that:
>
> - If I stop sysklogd, bind doesnt (*) freezes.
>    I can also send SIGWITH to named, and it doesn't freeze.
>
> - If I configure bind to log as "default { null; }", bind doesnt' freezes.
>
> - If I set bind to log as "file /var/log/named.log", bind doesn't freezes.
>    I can also send SIGWITH to named, it logs all the queries,
>    and it doesn't freeze.
>
> - If I configure bind to log using syslog, I start named, send the
> SIGWICH signal, and it freezes 5-10-30-60 seconds later. ALWAYS.
>

> (*) doesnt freezes = I tested it for 3 hours, with no problems.
>

> sysklogd version (Debian Sarge -stable- up to date):
> ii  sysklogd          1.4.1-17          System Logging Daemon
>

>   Any idea?
>
> --
> Santiago Romero
> Departamento de Sistemas
> sromero at servicom2000.com
>
> Av. Primado Reig 189, entlo
> 46020 Valencia - Spain
> Telf. (+34) 96 332 12 00
> Fax. (+34) 96 332 12 01
> http://www.servicom2000.com

	syslogd want's to resolve a address.  It blocks until the
	resolver returns a answer / timesout.  Named wants to log
	to syslogd.  syslog() blocks until syslogd reads the socket.

	When will OS developers

		a) restore syslog()'s non blocking behaviour
				and / or
		b) not translate IP addresses to names

	Syslog was originally written on top of UDP.  UDP *does*
	*not* block.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC