BIND covered under which license and does it conatin any cryptographic content ? - OT

Jeff Lightner jlightner at
Thu Jul 19 12:16:51 UTC 2007

It wasn't "simplification" - it was design.  After the American
Revolution when Mr. Webster published his dictionary he purposefully
changed the spelling of many words to "Americanize" them in an attempt
to further separate "The Colonies" from "The King's English" to
reinforce the fact we were now independent "States".   This is also why
we spell "color" instead of "colour" and various other differences.
Most people here don't really care about the separation any more but
since the spelling used is taught early on we continue to use them that

Interestingly I once had a UK manager challenge me on my use of "insure"
rather than "ensure".   There is an entire article about the use of
those words that shows both are proper in either American or UK English
and it is only custom that determines which side of the Atlantic uses
which word in which context.  After sending that on to him he told me
he'd never challenge my use of words again. :-)

P.S.  In neither UK nor American English is "contain" spelled "conatin"

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at [mailto:bind-users-bounce at] On
Behalf Of Roland Dirlewanger
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:28 AM
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Cc: Lulu; comp-protocols-dns-bind at
Subject: Re: BIND covered under which license and does it conatin any
cryptographic content ?

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> And why do some people write licence with a c and some with a s?
I'm far from being an expert in Engish's etimology, but with a little 
help of a dictionary, It seems that the English word "licence"  comes 
from the word "licence" which appeared in the French language in the 
XIIth century.

When it crossed the Channel, the noun "licence" was kept unchanged, but 
strangely enough, the verb made out of it became "to license". Some time

later, when both words crossed the Atlantic, some kind of simplification

was made and both noun and verb became spelled the same way.

Thus "the licence" is UK English, "the license" is US English.


Roland Dirlewanger <Roland.Dirlewanger at>
CNRS - Delegation Aquitaine-Limousin
Esplanade des Arts et Metiers

Tel :, Fax :

More information about the bind-users mailing list