BIND covered under which license and does it conatin any cryptographic content ?

Roland Dirlewanger Roland.Dirlewanger at
Thu Jul 19 09:27:44 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> And why do some people write licence with a c and some with a s?
I'm far from being an expert in Engish's etimology, but with a little 
help of a dictionary, It seems that the English word "licence"  comes 
from the word "licence" which appeared in the French language in the 
XIIth century.

When it crossed the Channel, the noun "licence" was kept unchanged, but 
strangely enough, the verb made out of it became "to license". Some time 
later, when both words crossed the Atlantic, some kind of simplification 
was made and both noun and verb became spelled the same way.

Thus "the licence" is UK English, "the license" is US English.


Roland Dirlewanger <Roland.Dirlewanger at>
CNRS - Delegation Aquitaine-Limousin
Esplanade des Arts et Metiers

Tel :, Fax :

More information about the bind-users mailing list