rrset-order and caching servers

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Jul 26 18:59:09 UTC 2007

No, there is no solution to this problem.

In DNS, the ordering of an RRSet is considered unimportant. Because
client software often does consider it important, a name server
sending an RRSet in a response is free to re-order the set any way it
likes. So while your name servers may impose a particular ordering of
an RRSet, because you've set it to do so, other name servers will
cache that data and then reorder it as they please.

So now you must examine why you feel it is important that records are
returned in a particular order. Is there a solution that does not
rely on the ordering of records in a record set?

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice