Bind dual zones?

Tim Hibbard hibbard at research.ohiou.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:21:58 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 08:37:23AM -0400,
>  Tim Hibbard <hibbard at research.ohiou.edu> wrote
>  a message of 37 lines which said:
>

>> It has become a burden for the DNS team to create new DNS zone.  If
>> a user asks for foobar.ohiou.edu the administrator has to do a dual
>> entry in two different zones.  One for foobar.ohiou.edu and one for
>> foobar.ohio.edu.  Is there a way to overcome this problem so when we
>> add foobar.ohiou.edu that "something" is created to point
>> foobar.ohio.edu to the same address?
>>

> Very easy. Several solutions:
>
> 1) Use only one zone file, with all the content in it being relative
> (i.e. using @ instead of the zone name, not adding the zone name and
> the final dot, etc). Then use, a symbolic link on the master name
> server.
>
> 2) Generate zone files from some sort of a database (it does not have
> to be a relational database engine, text files with a format are
> databases, too, and so are XML or JSON files) with ten lines of Perl
> or Python.
>
> 3) Mark Andrews will probably add: DNAME :-)

Stephane,

Could you provide a simple example of named.conf and the .db file I
would use under the scenario of foobar.ohiou.edu?  I like the first solution
the best as it is really not a hack and a true implementation of Bind.
Like I said I am a newbie to bind and the @ threw me off lol ;)

Is this what you are talking about?  Also the symbolic link throws me off.

named.conf
=========================
zone "ohiou.edu" {
     type master;
     file "ohiou.edu.db";
 };
zone "ohio.edu"{
    type master;
    file "ohio.edu.db";
}

ln -s ohiou.edu.db ohio.edu.db ????

ohiou.edu.db
================================
$TTL 38400
@.      IN      SOA     ns.ohiou.edu. support.ohiou.edu. (
                        7122008
                        10800
                        3600
                        604800
                        38400 )
foorbar                    IN      A        xxx.xxx.xxx.2  <== would
resolve foobar.ohio.edu as well?

Thanks in advance

Tim

--

** To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so.

Tim Hibbard
Senior Software Engineer
Vice President For Research
Ohio University