Bind dual zones?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Jul 28 05:52:38 UTC 2007

Tim Hibbard wrote:

> Could you provide a simple example of named.conf and the .db file I
> would use under the scenario of foobar.ohiou.edu?  I like the first solution
> the best as it is really not a hack and a true implementation of Bind.
> Like I said I am a newbie to bind and the @ threw me off lol ;)
>
> Is this what you are talking about?  Also the symbolic link throws me off.
>
> named.conf
> =========================
> zone "ohiou.edu" {
>      type master;
>      file "ohiou.edu.db";
>  };
> zone "ohio.edu"{
>     type master;
>     file "ohio.edu.db";
> }
>

> ln -s ohiou.edu.db ohio.edu.db ????

Personally I wouldn't bother with the symlink. Just use the same file
for both zone statements. It works, and is more likely to be
completely obvious to whoever comes along in 6 months who wasn't part
of the original decision making process. Also, add notes to the
named.conf that explain what you're doing and why.

> ohiou.edu.db
> ================================
> $TTL 38400
> @.      IN      SOA     ns.ohiou.edu. support.ohiou.edu. (
>                         7122008
>                         10800
>                         3600
>                         604800
>                         38400 )
> foorbar                    IN      A        xxx.xxx.xxx.2  <== would
> resolve foobar.ohio.edu as well?

Something like that. :) You don't need the . after the @ sign, but
yeah, you're on the right track.

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough