query cache and BIND 9.4.1-P1

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Jul 27 18:14:59 UTC 2007

I was running BIND 9.3.4, and this morning on two of our four servers
I upgraded to BIND 9.4.1-P1.  On one interal DNS server I see in the
syslog:

     Jul 27 10:25:05 dns1 named[12597]: [ID 873579 daemon.info]
       client 146.139.76.39#1825: query (cache) 'www.msn.com/A/IN' denied

I see in the 9.4.1-P1 README file:

        New option "allow-query-cache".  This lets allow-query be
        used to specify the default zone access level rather than
        having to have every zone override the global value.
        allow-query-cache can be set at both the options and view
        levels.  If allow-query-cache is not set allow-query applies.

Would I need to make any configuration changes to allow my internal
clinets access to the 9.4.1-P1 DNS cache?  The README text above
sems to imply that I would not have to make any changes.  I have no

     allow-query

statements in the BIND 9.3.4 configuration file.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov