bind 9.4.1, solaris 10, gcc

Rick Pim rick at post.queensu.ca
Wed Jun 27 18:41:55 UTC 2007

there's long been a sentence in the bind 9 README that says:

     Building with gcc is not supported, unless gcc is the vendor's usual
     compiler (e.g. the various BSD systems, Linux).

and so i've used the sun cc for all of my builds. i'm looking
to upgrade my nameserver hardware this summer (it's kinda old)
and i've started tinkering with solaris 10 on a new sun v215
unit.

now, a fresh install of solaris 10 includes gcc (3.4.3).
this prompts some questions:
 - since solaris now ships with gcc, does this signal a change
   in the above policy?
 - i've done a quick compile (no SSL) with the above compiler
   and after an hour's running it seems to work. has anyone else
   tried this?

rp

rick pim                                           rick at post.queensu.ca
information technology services                          (613) 533-2242
queen's university, kingston