problems reaching google

Pete Ehlke pde at rfc822.net
Thu Mar 1 21:03:03 UTC 2007

On Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 14:36:24 -0400, Matt Ashfield wrote:

>The problem arises that the 216.239.37.99 address above is unreachable for
>us and hence the problems.

Well stop using out of date bogon filters. 216/8 has been allocated for
quite some time now.

>Another interesting fact is this is not just happening to our campus. We
>share an internet link with other universities in our province, but we all
>have our own dns servers. Many of the other campuses are reporting similar
>problems in that one of their servers resolves to a rechable address, yet
>the other does not.
>
>I'm not sure if this is a DNS issue, or if this is a Google issue, I just
>thought I'd check here.

I rather suspect that misguided 'security' goons responsible for your
share internet link have shot you in the foot by failing to route valid
netblocks that used to be in someone's *cough*completehwois*cough* list
of 'bogons'.

Tell them to stop that.