Using bind in cooperation with LDAP

Sotiris Tsimbonis tsimbonis at forthnet.gr
Fri Mar 30 06:55:21 UTC 2007

On 03/29/2007 08:34 PM, mjn wrote:
> Our environment right now has a modified (modified by someone other
> than me) version of bind 8 that allows us to send queries to a
> special zone off to x500 and returns one value from the directory
[...]
> We are in the process of upgrading our system to Bind9 and the small
> number of systems that handle the above transactions are the only
> holdouts. Is there a simple way to produce the same behavior with bind9?
>
> Does the list have advice on doing something similar with bind9 or
> comments on what might be the best replacement set up? Seems to me we
> could accomplish the same thing using bind-sdb or similar but it
> would involve some more information in the directory...

Perhaps you can keep your modified version of bind 8 running at a
different port (or even host), upgrade to bind 9 and forward all
requests for "special.umn.edu" to modified bind 8:

zone "special.umn.edu" {
	type forward; forward only;
	forwarders { <ip.of.bind8.server> port <alternate.port>; };
};

Regards,
Sotiris.