Resolv local network names [Newbie question]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu May 10 12:45:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:45:52AM +0200,
 Peter Dambier <peter at peter-dambier.de> wrote
 a message of 45 lines which said:

> I remember discussions at IETF wether publishing llmnr as an
> experimental draft would be harmful. I remember it would break a
> lost of things - including DNS.

Pure FUD. Not even worthy of a discussion.

> And I remember seeing queries for ".local" on the rootservers.

Yes, local domains leaking. Nothing extraordinary, AS 112
(http://www.as112.net/) also see a lot of traffic for private IP
addresses.

> There has been a ".local" domain on some ISP rootservers and it was
> breaking windows boxes when Microsoft started experimenting with
> llmnr.

Again, pure b...s... LLMNR does not use ".local".