4 DNS servers, 1 BIND9 slave, 2 BIND8.4 slaves, 1 BIND8 master

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Mon May 14 19:30:15 UTC 2007

On May 14, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Ian Savoy wrote:

> Thanks Andy,
>
> Just to confirm, you've always had to update the slave manually upon
> each addition of a new domain on your master?  that's a little
> messed up
> if you ask me, but then again, i'm coming from the bind8 world :)
> Heh,
> i guess i'm really just waiting for someone to say that we both have a
> configuration error, due to the fact that i just _can't_ believe
> this! ;)

I'm confused here.  Are/were you saying that you never had to edit
the "named.conf" file on your slave when you added a zone on the master?

With BIND itself there has never been a way to update the secondary/
slave from the master.  This held true for BIND-4 onward.  (Can't say
anything about any earlier BIND software.)

There have been proposals made to have a "master" zone on each master
which identifies all of the zones that the master manages, and some
people have implemented this.  The a transfer of this "master" zone
to the slaves could be used to configure the slaves - BUT this is
outside of BIND itself.

I believe that there may be other DNS server software that does
manage the configuration of the slaves, but not this is not true with
BIND.

> If this is just the way things are, then i guess i'll have to
> script it,
> but shouldn't the transfer from slave to master be automatic?  i know
> that bind8 was a lot more forgiving as far as configuration goes, but
> still...why now all of a sudden do i have to manually add zones to a
> slave?  Anybody have an answer?...feel free to be as technical as you
> like :)

Here I'm being picky.  There is no "transfer from slave to master" in
any version of BIND.  But, if you reverse these two, the answer is
still no.  You need to configure the slave to allow it to know what
zones it is responsible for and where to obtain the zone information
- just as Andy pointed out.

Although DNS operation may sometimes appear to be magical, it really
aren't.  There are no real mysteries in configuring and operating a
DNS server.  I know that this "magical" aspect originally confounded
me (ancient history), but I soon learned to read the documentation
supplied with BIND very carefully.  I also got a copy of "DNS & BIND"
as soon as it was written.

Your "auto-configuration" of BIND slaves must be occurring outside of
BIND itself.  Since you say that you are running multiple BIND-8
slaves, I would try and double check their operation for another
mechanism that is performing this configuration auto-magically.  As a
test, how about creating a new test zone on your master and then
checking the configuration on your slave(s) to see how they get
modified to recognize the new zone on your master.

Also, you originally said that your configuration is identical
between the BIND-8 and BIND-9 slaves.  Have you read over the "doc/
misc/migration" file talking about migration between BIND-8 and
BIND-9.  Also, have you run "named-checkconf" against your
configuration file?

If you are having further problems (not necessarily for just a simple
question as you made), you will most likely need to provide us copies
of your "named.conf" files from your master and slaves.  But even
with just a question, providing a copy of your configuration file may
be very helpful to keep us from simply guessing about what you are
doing.

Bill Larson