BIND 9.4.x empty zones

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Nov 1 09:51:26 UTC 2007

On 31 Oct 2007, at 22:50, Chris Thompson wrote:

> I have been looking at the new "built-in empty zone" stuff in 9.4.x

	I've been treating the warnings about these zones and about
	reverse queries for RFC1918 addresses escaping onto the Internet
	as prompts to clean up our act, and have begun to configure
	explicitly each zone for which an "automatic" warning is otherwise
	generated.

	I've noticed a couple of surprises (using 9.4.1-P1).

	1.
	The 18 zones for 10/8, 172.16/12, and 192.168/16 don't appear
	to be considered for activation as "automatic empty zones",
	perhaps in an attempt to avoid collisions with operational use
	of addresses from some parts of these blocks.  In contrast, an
	automatic empty zone is activated for 127/8, even though it
	collides with the traditional, and actually configured on the
	same server, zone for 127.0.0.1/32.  This seems inconsistent.

	Rather than silently ignoring these 18 zones, I think it would
	be useful to emit a different flavour of warning, intended to
	prompt the local sysadmin to consider doing the "right thing".
	Relying on eventual per-query "RFC1918" warnings seems to me
	to miss an opportunity for giving an early helpful prompt.
	Perhaps visibility in the logs by using something like
	"automatic empty zone [...] NOT loaded" would be appropriate.

	2.
	When I set up an explicit empty zone with content equivalent to
	that provided automatically, my logs are just as noisy, since
	a warning is now generated alerting me that the nameserver
	has no address.

	# your favorite currency here # 0,02

	/Niall