Secondary NS on Windows and Linux Bind

Sam M sam.m at servwise.com
Mon Nov 5 08:38:23 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, I've searched the archive for an answer to this question but
nothing so here goes.

I'm running Bind on Linux and planning on running Bind on Windows if I can
work out this problem.

Basically I run a hosting company and want to have two DNS servers on
Windows (ns1 & ns2) and two on Linux (ns3 & ns4) Totalling 4 with each
pair on different networks for redundancy.  On Linux I have cPanel
creating the zones in Linux Bind and on Windows I would have DotNetPanel
creating the zones on Windows Bind.

Now the problem, how do I make zones created on Windows or Linux
automatically transfer the zone files created on each to the other
platform bind server as secondary.

So Windows Bind would be secondary NS for domain created on Linux bind and
Linux would be secondary ns for domains created on Windows bind.

As I understand it a file needs to be created on the secondary bind
server/s for it to fetch the zone data but is there and automated way to
do it as the control panels aren't able (AFAIK) to create those files on
the other servers.

Regards
Sam Morgan
WiredEyes Media / ServWise Advanced Hosting

tel (Uk): +44 (0)20 7100 2178
tel (Italy): +39 070 773 6543
web : www.wiredeyes.com / www.servwise.com
----
umop ap!sdn w,! aw dlaH
----
Great Hosting Sale, 50% off all ServWise
hosting plans, use coupon code : HALFPRICE