Secondary NS on Windows and Linux Bind

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Nov 5 09:44:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 09:38:23AM +0100,
 Sam M <sam.m at servwise.com> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

> Now the problem, how do I make zones created on Windows or Linux
> automatically transfer the zone files created on each to the other
> platform bind server as secondary.

If you want the *transfer* to be automatic, there is almost nothing to
do, it is a normal function of the DNS, which BIND performs well.

If you want the *configuration* to be done automatically (each time
you create a zone, it is automatically added in the other
nameservers), then, there is no standard way. Some programs (PowerDNS)
have a proprietary way to do it. For others (BIND), you will have to
do it yourself in your zone management program.

> As I understand it a file needs to be created on the secondary bind
> server/s for it to fetch the zone data

No. BIND does not need it.

> but is there and automated way to do it as the control panels aren't
> able (AFAIK) to create those files on the other servers.

Yes. Program it. Since you are in the professionnal hosting business,
you certainly do not hope to use only point-and-click interfaces, I
assume? You have a database of customers and BIND's named.conf files
are produced automatically from the database by a program, no?