bind generating db-* files

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 21:37:55 UTC 2007

On Nov 8 2007, mark evans wrote:

>I am running BIND 9.4.1-P1.  My name server is generating files with names
>similar in formate to "db-Z9MkkEBr". At first i thought it was because a old
>script was running and older version of bind.  But the files are still being
>generated after that issue was addressed. A named.core file is not being
>generated.  I'm not seeing anything odd in the syslogs. Anyone have any tips
>for me on how to figure out what is going on with these files?

This one is becoming almost a FAQ.

If BIND tries to use the saved zone (or journal) file for a zone of type
slave or stub, and decides it doesn't look like a valid master file for that
zone, then it renames it out of the way using names like the above. Then
it does an ab initio fetch for the zone from the specified masters.

If you have logging on at severity INFO you will see BIND messages about that.
Otherwise, inspecting the contents of the files should give a clue.

One common cause of such files continuing to appear indefinitely is specifying
the same zone file for more than one slave/stub zone. (It's equally wrong to
do that for zones of type master which are dynamically updated, although the
symptoms will be different - and worse!)

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk