subdomain/split dns question

Chris Rizzo ghworg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:02:38 UTC 2007

I have begun the process of creating a split external/internal dns setup. I
am using bind views so that internal users can see the full zone list, but
external users only see the Internet routable addresses. It seems to be
working except for one small issue....I have a subdomain that is delegated
out to my load balancing devices, i.e.  global.company.com - the load
balancers are running bind, and are authoritative, for the global subdomain.
When a user queries www.company.com, it is actually an alias to
www.global.company.com. It looks like the only way that I can get this to
work is to turn on recursion for the external view, but would rather not. Is
there some way to do this that I'm missing??? I tried forwarders and stub
zones but nothing seems to work....Thanks for any help....