RES_BLAST

Danny Thomas d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 24 04:46:24 UTC 2007

>	RES_BLAST is available in lib/bind

It would be great if you could make RES_BLAST the default in resolv.conf,
as it would overcome the bad behaviour of the (unix) resolver when the
first name-server listed becomes unreachable. Mind you, I don't know
whether resolv.conf directives would come from bind, or whether it
is code managed by the OS people importing bind code in the library.

I know there are other approaches which do keep track of how quickly
name-servers respond, and which soon learn when a name-server is unreach-
able, but these involve daemons like a caching name-server or lwresd.
So resolving is affected if the daemon dies.

Danny

--
   d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au    Danny Thomas,
          +61-7-3365-8221    Software Infrastructure,