Root user only

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Wed Oct 24 21:46:33 UTC 2007

I have a Slackware 9.0 box at home that acts as my router and firewall
and mail, ftp and www server. Beyond those tasks, this box doesn't do a
whole lot and doesn't have much in the way of problems. It just works.
Until now. This box runs as a headless server and I login via ssh using
a very non-privileged user ID. I then su to root and do whatever
maintenance tasks I logged in to do. Now I have a need to run vnc on
this server and access it from my work. I run vnc as a regular user and
log in as that same regular user. I have vnc configured to run the kde
desktop and it all seems to work pretty well except that the regular
cannot resolve hostnames. Only the root user is able to do that. I
cannot find any sort of configuration that would allow root to resolve
host names and disallow all other users so I assume that something is
broken. I just don't know what. Can anyone here point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Rick Knight