BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1
craigc at uia.net
Tue Sep 4 21:35:36 UTC 2007
On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Craig Cocca wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>> Recently, we've updated our internal nameservers from BIND 9.3.2 to
>>> 9.3.4-P1, and then to BIND 9.4.1-P1. We're running this on FreeBSD
>>> 6.1 on a P4 2.8 GHz with 1GB of RAM. We're experiencing a problem
>>> where named will be running normally, at 10-14% CPU load and
>>> right at
>>> the 515M memory cap that we set for it, and then it will suddenly
>>> stop doing recursive lookups. What is interesting here is that the
>>> box will continue to do lookups for domains for which we have
>>> authority, but lookups of outside domains just flat out stop
>>> until we
>>> restart named.
>>> I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with
>>> BIND 9.4.1-P1, and if so, if there is a fix for this.
>> This is symptomatic of named hitting the datasize limit.
>> Which config option did you use? The cache size should
>> be limited by max-cache-size which is a soft limit and
>> should be less than datasize.
>> Note FreeBSD sets datasize to 512MB by default and you need
>> to reboot to reconfigure this upwards. See the FreeBSD
>> handbook for how to change this.
>> Mark Andrews, ISC
>> 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Even after following Mark's suggestions above, we are still seeing
the exact same problem where named becomes unresponsive to recursive
lookups at random intervals. I'm starting to think that this might
be a memory leak in BIND 9.4.1-P1, and I would like to know what kind
of debug output would be helpful here to help you (and us) solve this
issue and get BIND into a stable operating mode.
More information about the bind-users