BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1

Craig Cocca craigc at
Tue Sep 4 21:46:58 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Craig Cocca wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Craig Cocca wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>>> Recently, we've updated our internal nameservers from BIND 9.3.2 to
>>>> 9.3.4-P1, and then to BIND 9.4.1-P1.  We're running this on FreeBSD
>>>> 6.1 on a P4 2.8 GHz with 1GB of RAM.  We're experiencing a problem
>>>> where named will be running normally, at 10-14% CPU load and  
>>>> right at
>>>> the 515M memory cap that we set for it, and then it will suddenly
>>>> stop doing recursive lookups.  What is interesting here is that the
>>>> box will continue to do lookups for domains for which we have
>>>> authority, but lookups of outside domains just flat out stop  
>>>> until we
>>>> restart named.
>>>> I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with
>>>> BIND 9.4.1-P1, and if so, if there is a fix for this.
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> --Craig
>>> 	This is symptomatic of named hitting the datasize limit.
>>> 	Which config option did you use?  The cache size should
>>> 	be limited by max-cache-size which is a soft limit and
>>> 	should be less than datasize.
>>> 	Note FreeBSD sets datasize to 512MB by default and you need
>>> 	to reboot to reconfigure this upwards.  See the FreeBSD
>>> 	handbook for how to change this.
>>> 	Mark
>>> -- Mark Andrews, ISC
>>> 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>>> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET:  
>>> Mark_Andrews at
> Even after following Mark's suggestions above, we are still seeing  
> the exact same problem where named becomes unresponsive to  
> recursive lookups at random intervals.  I'm starting to think that  
> this might be a memory leak in BIND 9.4.1-P1, and I would like to  
> know what kind of debug output would be helpful here to help you  
> (and us) solve this issue and get BIND into a stable operating mode.
> Thanks,
> Craig Cocca

Following  up on my earlier post, here are some of the stats of the  
box that we're running BIND 9.4.1-P1 on:

P4-2.8 GHz
1 GB memory
~500 queries/second
named runs as a recursive lookup nameserver at 10-15% CPU load in a  
515 MB footprint.

I would be happy to provide any additional debugging information that  
someone might need to help steer me in the right directions.

Craig Cocca

More information about the bind-users mailing list