BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1

Craig Cocca craigc at uia.net
Tue Sep 4 21:46:58 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Craig Cocca wrote:

>>> 	This is symptomatic of named hitting the datasize limit.
>>>
>>> 	Which config option did you use?  The cache size should
>>> 	be limited by max-cache-size which is a soft limit and
>>> 	should be less than datasize.
>>>
>>> 	Note FreeBSD sets datasize to 512MB by default and you need
>>> 	to reboot to reconfigure this upwards.  See the FreeBSD
>>> 	handbook for how to change this.
>>>
>>> 	Mark
>>> -- Mark Andrews, ISC
>>> 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>>> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET:
>>> Mark_Andrews at isc.org
>>>

> Even after following Mark's suggestions above, we are still seeing
> the exact same problem where named becomes unresponsive to
> recursive lookups at random intervals.  I'm starting to think that
> this might be a memory leak in BIND 9.4.1-P1, and I would like to
> know what kind of debug output would be helpful here to help you
> (and us) solve this issue and get BIND into a stable operating mode.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Cocca

Following  up on my earlier post, here are some of the stats of the
box that we're running BIND 9.4.1-P1 on:

P4-2.8 GHz
1 GB memory
~500 queries/second
named runs as a recursive lookup nameserver at 10-15% CPU load in a
515 MB footprint.

I would be happy to provide any additional debugging information that
someone might need to help steer me in the right directions.

Best,
Craig Cocca