Debian vs SuSE

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 11 23:40:34 UTC 2007

You're "include"ing zone data directly into your nameserver
configuration. Don't do that. I think what you meant to do is include
zone *definitions* into named.conf, e.g.

    zone "foo.bar" {
       type master;
       file "foo.bar";
    };

Review the contents of the files on your SuSE box and you'll probably
discover where you went wrong.

Note that each flavor of Unix or Linux has *conventions* about where to
put zone files, the structure of the named.conf, etc. but unless you're
using a special OS-provided tool to manage your BIND setup, you're not
really bound by those conventions and can put the files and directories
wherever you want (within reason, of course, special-purpose directories
or filesystems like /proc, /sys or /dev would be off-limits).

               - Kevin