Rndc stats not showing correct figures

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Sep 23 23:31:02 UTC 2007

> Hi All,
>
> I have 2 cache DNS servers running BIND 9.4.1.

	We don't advise running BIND 4.9.1.

> The command 'rndc
> stats' works fine on one server with correct figures while on the
> other one showing very low number of queries.
>
> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (1190524500)
> success 493122    <<<<<< These numbers are not correct , very low
> referral 448
> nxrrset 6406
> nxdomain 133565
> recursion 649462
> failure 491752
> duplicate 14223
> dropped 41853
> --- Statistics Dump --- (1190524500)
>

> By monitoring its log file i can see dns requests hitting the server
> but not reflecting the correct number for (e.g success) in named.stats
> when I run 'rndc stats'. I can't figure out what's wrong !!
> any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Hisham

	My bet is that this is the second server handed out by DHCP
	(or whatever mechanism you are using to handout nameservers).
	As such it will tend to only get queried when the first
	server has failed to resolve the query or due to timeouts.

	This means that most queries that are asked of this server
	have already failed to resolve in a timely manner.  They
	are unlikely to resolve on the second server which is reflected
	in the statistics above.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC